The expansion for SCADA is Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition. The industrial control system
is generally referred as SCADA i.e. a computer system which manages and controls industrial process or facility based process or infrastructure process.
- The industrial process includes:
i. Manufacturing, ii. Power Generation, iii. Production, iv. Refining, and v. Fabrication. The above described process may operate on Repetitive or Batch or Discrete or Continuous modes.
- The facility based process occurs in both private and public. It includes:
i. Building, ii. Airports, iii. Space Stations, and iv. Ships. This process helps to control and monitor HVAC, power consumptions, and accesses.
- The infrastructure process may be either private or public. It includes:
i. Water Treatment and Distribution, ii. Oil and Gas Pipelines, iii. Wind Farms, iv. Waste Water Collection and Treatment, v. Electrical Power Transmission online casinos and Distribution, vi. Large Communication Systems, and vii. Civil Defense Siren System. Common Components of SCADA System: The common components of SCADA system consists of:
- HMI (Human Machine Interface): It is an apparatus that is operated by human to monitor and control various processes.
- PLC (Programmable Logic Controller): This controller is used because they are very flexible, and economical than Remote Terminal Units.
- Supervisory System: It collects process data and sends control commands to the process.
- RLU (Remote Terminal Units): This process is connected with sensors to convert sensor signals into digital and sends digital data to Supervisory System.
- Communication Infrastructure: It is connecting Supervisory System to RLU’s.
Functions of SCADA: The SCADA system includes many functions such as:
- Data acquisition,
- Alarms and event monitoring,
- Database and data logging,
- Operator interface,
- Non real time control,
- MMI use,
- Automation, and
- Report generation.
Two types of Architectures of SCADA: The architecture of SCADA system is divided into two namely:
- Hardware Architecture and
- Software Architecture.
Applications of SCADA: The applications of SCADA system includes
- Waste Water Control,
- Monitoring Petroleum,
- Hydrocarbon Processing,
- Food Processing,
- Power Generation,
- Plant Machinery Maintenance,
- Remote Telecommunication, and
- Steel Manufacturing.